Some of the best moments are shared over good food and even better company. That’s why they say the kitchen is the heart of the home. Hosting is fun, but it can be a bit tricky if you have a small apartment kitchen. Here are nine tips to ensure the party goes well despite the limited square footage.
- Shorten your guest list: Depending on the size of your apartment, you may want to invite six friends or less. This way, you can focus on entertaining your guests, not stressing about everyone bumping into one another.
- Simplify the menu: Plan to offer a mix of cold, room-temperature, and hot foods to ensure enough fridge, counter, and oven space. Serving cold appetizers first gives you time to finish cooking or reheating hot dishes for later in the evening.
- Prepare in advance: Once the party starts, you want to spend more time with your guests and less time in the kitchen. To reach this goal, you’ll need to prepare as much food as possible the day before.
- Clean and declutter before party time: Vacuum, sweep, and dust to make a good impression. Then, do the dishes to make sure you have enough clean tableware. Take the time to declutter as well, which will make your small kitchen more functional.
- Think outside the kitchen: To avoid overcrowding, feel free to serve some items in non-traditional locations. For instance, you might empty the TV stand to make way for hors d’oeuvres, or clear off the bookcase and set drinks on the shelves.
- Get creative with seating: Don’t feel confined to your small dining room table. Other seating options include barstools, floor cushions, and the sofa.
- Keep the apartment cool: It’s easy to maintain a comfortable temperature when entertaining in the winter—simply crack the windows. But in the summer, you may want to turn down the AC before guests arrive in anticipation of warm bodies filling your apartment.
- Anticipate your guests’ needs: Point out notable locations as guests arrive, such as where to put their jackets and shoes, where the bathroom is located, and where they can find the food and drinks you’ve set around the apartment.
- Limit the number of chefs in the kitchen: Some partygoers may ask if you need help preparing food. While it’s a kind gesture, too many chefs can be counterproductive in a small kitchen. Say you’re almost done and join your guests as soon as possible.
If you entertain regularly, consider how a luxurious loft apartment can support your lifestyle. The spacious one- and two-bedroom floor plans at The Mitchell Lofts make entertaining easy. After all, with few interior walls and impressive square footage, lofts are built to accommodate a crowd! Our location in the up-and-coming Deep Ellum neighborhood also means rich culture, music, and nightlife are within walking distance. If you’re ready to live and love an urban lifestyle, please call 214-247-6798 and schedule a tour of our luxurious multifamily apartment community today.