Spring is here, and the temperature is already rising. It’s shaping up to be a hot summer in Dallas, which can translate to a muggy interior and high utility bills. Follow these tips to keep cool without paying too much to air condition your loft apartment.
- Shut out the sun: Sunlight doesn’t just illuminate your loft—it also heats it. Keep things cool by closing the window coverings over south- and west-facing windows during the hottest time of the day.
- Turn on a fan: The wind chill effect created when you turn on a fan instantly makes you feel about 4 degrees cooler. Use this tactic to turn up the thermostat a few degrees, providing energy savings without leaving you uncomfortable.
- Avoid generating heat in the afternoon: Heat-generating activities like cooking, showering, and doing laundry put extra strain on your air conditioner. Wait until the early morning or late evening hours to help the interior stay cool when it matters most.
- Vent hot, humid air: No matter what time of day you cook, shower, and do laundry, remember to turn on the exhaust fan in the kitchen, bathroom, and laundry room. Venting hot, humid air to the exterior also helps prevent mold growth in your loft apartment.
- Switch to energy-efficient light bulbs: Old incandescent bulbs emit a lot of heat, needlessly overworking your AC. Upgrade to CFL or LED bulbs, which give off a fraction of the heat. Making this change also reduces your lighting costs.
- Turn off electronics when not in use: TVs, computers, video game consoles, and other electronics consume energy and give off heat when turned on. Shutting them down when you no longer need them keeps your loft cool and lowers your electricity bills.
- Dress for the season: Wearing shorts and a tank top is much more comfortable this time of year than pants and long sleeves. Your loft will immediately feel cooler when you remove that extra layer of clothes.
- Take a cold shower: When you’re overheated, a cold shower is a fast, affordable way to bring your body temperature down. You can also apply a wet towel to your neck or spray your arms and legs with water to mimic the effect.
- Stay hydrated: Your body sweats more in the summertime, so remember to stay hydrated. Ice-cold water is the most thirst-quenching choice, but sports drinks can also prove useful, especially when working out.
The Mitchell Lofts is the perfect place to cool off this summer. Every unit has central air conditioning and ceiling fans to keep the air flowing. Residents also have access to an enclosed swimming pool, complete with a sound system and resort-style furniture. To enjoy Dallas after dark, we recommend escaping to the picturesque BBQ area or rooftop deck in the evening. If this sounds like how you want to spend your summer, please call us at 214-247-6798 to schedule a tour of our luxurious multifamily apartment community.