Are you relocating to Dallas? You need a new place to live before you pack up and move. While searching for Dallas rentals, you may encounter numerous housing options, including apartments and lofts. What exactly is a loft, and how does it differ from a regular apartment? Most importantly, which one is right for you? Find the answers here.
What is an Apartment?
Simply put, an apartment is a residential unit adjacent to other units within a larger building, complex, or plaza. An apartment is intended to house one person, a couple, or a small group of roommates, depending on the number of bedrooms and bathrooms. By definition, apartments are rented from a landlord or property manager, while condominiums are owned by the resident.
Several dwellings fit under the broad apartment umbrella:
- Townhouses include two or more two-story homes with shared walls between them.
- Duplexes, triplexes, and quadplexes feature two, three, or four conjoined units, respectively.
- Studios are smaller than one-bedroom apartments with few, if any, interior walls.
- Lofts also have few interior walls, but they are at least double the size of studio apartments.
More About Lofts
As a type of apartment, lofts are residential units within a larger building. But they have specific architectural and aesthetic features that set them apart from a run-of-the-mill apartment, including:
- Spacious, open floor plans
- Soaring ceiling heights
- Large steel windows
- Industrial characteristics, such as heavy timber columns, steel beams, and exposed brick
Benefits of Lofts and Traditional Apartments
Consider the advantages of each type of housing before deciding which one is right for you.
- Privacy: Standard one- and two-bedroom apartments have walls separating the shared living spaces from the private bedrooms. This is ideal for roommates and renters with kids.
- Availability: Apartments are everywhere, making them easy to find and giving you countless styles and layouts to choose from.
- Traditional interior: The average apartment has predictable colors and materials that go with virtually any furnishings you might bring with you. Many people appreciate this simplicity.
- Design flexibility: Lofts are great for residents who want to rearrange the furniture on a whim. With no confining interior walls, it’s easy to move the sofa and free up space for an impromptu dance floor.
- Industrial charm: Since lofts are traditionally located in converted industrial buildings, they offer an old-school vibe that artists and musicians adore.
- Spacious living area: If you like the idea of communal living and using a massive, shared space for multiple activities at once, you’ll love the loft lifestyle.
Looking to rent a loft in Dallas? Look no further than The Mitchell Lofts, nestled in the up-and-coming Deep Ellum neighborhood. Our luxurious multifamily apartment community is anything but cookie cutter. In fact, 72 of our 79 units have unique floor plans. Residents also enjoy premium amenities like an enclosed pool, 24-hour fitness center, picturesque BBQ area, and private parking garage. To request a tour, please call us at 214-247-6798.